Friday, October 31, 2008

Street Surfing for supper

Amazing what one can see at any particular time and place...I have developed a habit in Beijing. Once I discovered that I could buy food cooked on the street cheaper than I could buy it in the store, I have found several places to get what I like to eat. There is a street market (all the vendors are on wheels, pics later) and as such they are extremely mobile although they possess the means by which to cook food, such as sweet potatoes and corn. Apparently they are not quite legal, either by not having a license or perhaps location. Lately I have been going to such a market by a bus stop close to my apartment. I had just made my purchase and was strolling down the street when there was some shouting and immediately several of the vendors sped by on their mobile stores. I turned to look and there was a police van with it's lights on down the street where the vendors had come from, they were all leaving. As they continued to pass me, I saw the police van had come far enough that it could make a U-turn. As soon as the vendors saw the police go the other way, they also made a U-turn and headed back to the bus stop. It makes one wonder how much there is to see and know, that we will never experience.

Take a breath...S

No comments: